DevSecOps Engineers are responsible for securing software deployment, identifying security threats and the configuration of network infrastructure. DevSecOps Engineers must have some knowledge in network protocols like HTTP, DNS, and FTP. DevSecOps has the most important roles within DevOps, however, is the Security Engineer or DevSecOps Engineer. This deeply rewarding career requires a specific technical skill set, current knowledge of cyber security trends and a decent amount of experience.
Perhaps the best thing about this role is that demand is rising. You will find the need for such engineers is sky-high right now and will continue to rise as cyber attacks grow in frequency and sophistication.
What Does Being A DevSecOps Engineer Involve?
The work of a DevSecOps Engineer is like many other IT security professional roles. Both use a variety of best practice tools and methods such as cyber security software, threat modelling and risk assessments to detect and analyse threats. However, in keeping with DevOps practices, there are some key differences when compared to a typical IT security role.
On DevOps projects, security isn’t an afterthought but is built into the software while it is being created, by using secure coding. During development, the software is attacked to find vulnerabilities, as opposed to running scans once it has been created. Collaboration is a core practice of DevOps and therefore DevSecOps roles work alongside DevOps Engineers to ensure that security vulnerabilities are assessed and fixed during development. Automation tools to detect vulnerabilities play a key role, so DevSecOps need a good understanding of such tool sets.
Knowledge of threats is shared with the whole team, instead of keeping it with yourself only. Therefore, DevSecOps Engineers require great communication skills.
What Skills Are Required?
DevSecOps Engineers require a broad set of skills. They need the technical skill set of an IT security professional, as well as knowledge of the DevOps approach. They will also need a passion for cyber security, with sound awareness of the latest threats and trends. These are the main skills required:
- Knowledge of the DevOps culture and principles.
- An understanding of programming languages such as Ruby, Perl, Java, Python and PHP.
- Strong teamwork and communication skills.
- Knowledge of threat modelling and risk assessment techniques.
- Up-to-date knowledge of cyber security threats, current best practices and latest software.
- An understanding of programs such as Puppet, Chef, Threat Modeler, Checkmarx, Immunio and Aqua. They may also need to know Kubernetes, Docker or AWS.
What About Experience And Qualifications?
- Individuals aspiring to get into DevOps Security Engineer should learn the basics of security principles.
- This job role requires sufficient experience and knowledge of programming languages and automation tools.
- The job role requires individuals to have technical degrees such as engineering or computer science.
- Getting certifications by Cisco, CompTIA, and Microsoft will help you to get into this role even without having a technical degree.
- It’s also preferable to get accredited DevOps certifications by DevOps Institute like DevOps Foundation, DevOps Leader, DevSecOps Engineering, Continuous Delivery Architecture, and more. They provide a solid understanding of DevOps and other security methods in general.
Essential Components Of DevSecOps Approach
Here is a list of essential components of DevSecOps approach:
- Code analysis: The codes are delivered in small pieces so that any vulnerabilities can be easily recognised and resolved.
- Change management:The change management process enhance the efficiency and speed of the process and determine whether the changes made is good or bad.
- Compliance training: This training requires you to be get ready for the audit at any instance.
- Threat investigation: This component in DevOps approach assist you to identify the threats in the process along with the code update and respond quickly to it.
- Vulnerability assessment: Recognises the latest vulnerabilities with the code analysis and how quickly they could be resolved.
- Security training: It requires you to train the team with set of guidelines.
Risk Management Techniques And Threat Modelling
The above-mentioned skills can be easily acquired through the DevSecOps job role. These professionals can also take up courses to gain knowledge of automation tools, DevOps principles and programming languages.
- DevSecOps are responsible for software development, recognising the security threats, and configuring the network infrastructure, so DevSecOps engineers should have up-to-the-minute details of cyber security threats and the latest software. They should also possess knowledge of the implementation of risk assessment techniques and the latest security best practices.
- It is the responsibility of the DevSecOps professional to come up with customised tools for security purposes in DevOps. The professionals should be well-versed in at least one of the programming languages like Java, PHP, Python, Ruby, and Perl so as to collaborate competently with other teams within the organisation. They must also possess knowledge of AWS, Docker, Kubernetes, and how to implement developer tools such as GitHub and Dependency management.
- There are various configuration management tools such as Chef, Puppet and Ansible with each having different functions and configurations. Having sufficient knowledge to operate these tools will indeed make your life simpler. On the other hand, it’s equally important to keep track of your requirements prior to choosing tools.
- DevOps Security Engineers should possess proficient communication skills to teach the team various concepts like scalability, automation, and security. Having excellent communication skills helps to deliver the message in an efficient manner. Investment in communication skills will pay off in the long run for the organisation as well as for individuals.
- DevOps Security Engineer should be aware about the complexities due to risk assessment. They must update their skills on cyber security threats and up-to-date best practices. Having prior experience as a non-DevOps security engineer indicates future success in the same domain.
Get In Touch With Us Today
When looking for a job, a candidate must approach a reliable platform. In this modern era social networking is very active and mostly used but cannot be reliable. Thus, a recruitment agency is a better way to solve this problem. As the recruitment agency not only offers a reliable job for the candidates but also takes care of all the procedure starting right from applying till a candidate goes direct with the employer. Recruitment agencies makes sure to get the best deal for their candidate. A reliable recruitment agency like Workers-Direct has an experience of working from the past ten years. We have been working in different sectors of industries so we make sure to provide our candidate with the best.
It’s easy to start your recruitment journey with Workers-Direct. Simply drop us an email or phone us and we’ll get working on your recruitment needs right away.