Temporary Labourer, whereby workers are engaged only for a specific period of time, includes fixed-term, project- or task-based contracts, as well as seasonal or casual work, including day labour.
Companies or organisations hire temporary labourers because of the convenience of getting assistance last minute or the ability to scale their teams for a busy period without having to interview and onboard a significant number of staff who will only be with them for a short period of time. A temporary employee does not enter into any contractual agreement with the company they do the work for. Temporary labourer means hiring labour for a contracted period of time. These contract or temp labourers fulfil all the functions of regular labourers and can help during increases in demands, or when your full-timers are on leave.
What Tasks Are Temporary Labourers Going To Perform?
Temporary Labourers carry out manual tasks in a variety of settings, but commonly on construction sites. They need some skills to perform those tasks. The tasks they are responsible to perform are as follows:
- Carrying out manual tasks as directed in a safe manner
- unloading equipment and materials
- operating machinery, use tools, or conducting warehouse operations
- developing specialist skills, which may involve additional training
- understanding and following safe work practices
- keeping the worksite clean
What Does It Take To Be A Labourer?
There are some requirements to secure a position to be a labourer. The factors may vary but some of the requirements are obligatory to be fulfilled. They are as follows:
- Education: Labourers typically need a minimum of a high school diploma. Some positions need a minimum level of on-the-job experience. Labourers need to have a general understanding of construction, the ability to operate and use the necessary tools and equipment with an understanding of all the safety procedures need to be followed on a job site.
- Training: Many labourers start their careers with no experience and learn the basics of their trade on the job and then enhance their skills and advance their career by learning a specific trade. Labourers may take a short term internship or apprenticeship program to learn specific skills. On-the-job training may last from a few weeks to a few months. This training is often part of a new hire’s 30-to-90-day probationary period. The training often includes a period of performing duties under direct supervision until you are skilled to complete your responsibilities independently.
- Communication skills:These skills involve the ability to communicate both verbally and non-verbally with active listening, observing, speaking and empathising. Labourers must be excellent communicators so they can get a clear understanding of the task they are assigned at the job site, also they are able to inform other labourers and supervisors of their progress and understand when the requirements of a project need to change.
- Computer skills:This is the ability to use computers and software needed to complete their job duties. Labourers need to know how to use different software programs and also need to know how to use electronic equipment that is built into their construction equipment.
- Physical dexterity, strength, balance and stamina:Construction labour is a physically demanding and tiring job that requires the demand to climb ladders, operate heavy equipment and tools, carry heavy materials, work in uncomfortable positions and environment with the need to stand for long hours. Labourers should be in a strong physical health conditions that allows them to perform their job duties properly and ensure their safety while on the site.
Perks Of Hiring Temporary Labourers
Here’s a look at the top five benefits of temporary hiring.
- It provides flexibility in an unstable economy: Smaller companies have to be able to adapt their team during busy or low periods, but hiring and firing permanent staff can be time-consuming and detrimental to morale. Being able to bring on more workers or scale back the workforce to respond to the ebbs and flows of demand is highly desirable to company owners. Temporary Labourers can also provide a quick fix for sudden turnover, long-term leaves and special projects.
- It gives your company access to new skills: The reality is that temporary Labourers can bring new skills and perspectives to their role that can, in turn, improve efficiency or streamline production. If a new project requires skills outside of your team’s area of expertise, a temporary labourer can provide that new talent to keep things moving.
- It saves you money: While the exact logistics of temporary hires differ from company to company, the process is usually far more cost effective than making a permanent hire. Hourly rates can sometimes be implemented rather than a salary, and with reduced or at least short-term availability to benefits and other company perks. In the short term, the cost of hiring a temporary labourer is often cheaper that the cost of committing to a permanent labour.
- It can lead to meaningful hires: Finding temporary labourers that are the right fit for your workplace is always a challenge. Temporary Labourers, on the other hand, can provide employers with the chance to evaluate workers over a longer period of time without committing to a permanent offer. It can also alleviate some of the urgency associated with filling an opening in your permanent staff, having a short-term labour in place during your recruitment process ensures you take your time finding the right hire.
- It can boost morale: While the divide between permanent and temporary labour can be difficult the addition of short-term labourers can also help the overall workplace mood. When your labourers are forced to work double shifts, to work nights and weekends, and to take on extra roles and responsibilities because you are shorthanded, morale can quickly decrease. Your labourers can get stressed, become exhausted, and burn out. Offering extra help during your company’s busiest periods ensures your core team stays happy and productive.
Get In Touch With Us Today
When looking for a job, a candidate must approach a reliable platform. In this modern era social networking is very active and mostly used but cannot be reliable. Thus, a recruitment agency is a better way to solve this problem. As the recruitment agency not only offers a reliable job for the candidates but also takes care of all the procedure starting right from applying till a candidate goes direct with the employer. Recruitment agencies makes sure to get the best deal for their candidate. A reliable recruitment agency like Workers-Direct has an experience of working from the past ten years. We have been working in different sectors of industries so we make sure to provide our candidate with the best.
It’s easy to start your recruitment journey with Workers-Direct. Simply drop us an email or phone us and we’ll get working on your recruitment needs right away.