Skilled Labourers are workers who have acquired the necessary skills and training to complete building and construction-related jobs. Their duties differ depending on the task at hand but some responsibilities include painting, drilling, floor installations and plumbing and electrical tasks. Their duties may also include different types of manual labour.Skilled Labourer
Skilled Labourer jobs are predominantly found in the building and construction industries. Skilled Labourers perform manual tasks such as digging trenches, unloading building materials and preparing job sites. They use a range of hand and power tools in their duties and are also expected to operate and clean heavy machinery.
When assisting qualified trades people such as bricklayers, plumbers and landscapers, skilled labourers often develop expertise in these areas. Experienced workers are called on to perform routine labourer jobs and skilled tasks as needed. Most labourer jobs are outdoors and involve early start and finish times. Labourers may be required to work with dangerous materials such as lead, asbestos and chemicals. Certification is usually needed for these jobs.
Responsibilities Of A Skilled Labourer
- Moving materials to the worksite and ensuring all tools, machinery, and other equipment are safely set up.
- Operating equipment like drills, pneumatic hammers, shovels, pikes, and other heavy machinery.
- Assisting with various electrical and plumbing installation procedures.
- Obeying health and safety codes.
- Removing hazardous materials from sites.
- Spreading gravel, asphalt and other materials over surfaces.
- Performing site and equipment inspections.
- Attending meetings and workshops.
- Completing on-the-job training.
- Ensuring tasks are completed to deadlines.Skilled Labourer
Skilled Labourer Requirements
- High school diploma or similar.
- Completed apprenticeships recommended.
- Driver’s license recommended.
- Sound knowledge of construction and practical experience with tools.
- Excellent time management, organisational and communication skills.
- A good understanding of safety procedures.
- Great hand, eye and foot coordination.
- Willingness to learn and be flexible.
- Positive attitude and great interpersonal skills.Skilled Labourer
Qualification Required For Skilled Labourers
There are no formal qualifications required to become a labourer as learning takes place on the job. Labourers need to be over 18 and some jobs require safety certification and tickets.
Most general labourers have completed Year 10. High school subjects which are beneficial for those planning to become labourers are maths, technical drawing and design and technology. While formal qualifications are not required, tickets and licenses can enhance job prospects. It is helpful for labourers to attain a forklift license and tickets in areas such as Asbestos Removal and Working at Heights.
Labourer should fulfil the following requirements to secure a job:
- Drivers license
- The ability to pass a drug and alcohol test before getting employed
- Construction White Card or Red Card
- Own vehicle
- Construction experience Skilled Labourer
Qualities Of A Skilled Labourer
Whether you’re interested in finding a job in construction, or are in need of a team of skilled workers, it’s important to know the qualities every construction worker should possess. Below are the qualities you should acquire when attempting to gain employment in the construction industry. If you’re looking to hire a crew, the qualities you should look for in every potential employee include:
- Hand/Eye & Body Coordination: Possessing hand/eye and body coordination is incredibly important if you plan to work in construction. Construction labourers are required to move, carry and assemble different objects with one or both hands, perhaps while multitasking. You may also be asked to perform different duties while sitting, standing, walking, climbing, digging, bending, lifting or lying down. It’s important to know how to best perform physical labour without losing your balance.
Another important aspect of hand-eye and body coordination involves operating power machinery and tools. Handling dangerous objects requires coordination to ensure you and your co-workers remain safe at all times.
- In-depth Knowledge: As important as it is to possess terrific hand-eye and body coordination, it’s equally as important to know how to properly operate mechanical tools and power machinery. You should never operate machinery without having in-depth knowledge as to how it works and what to do if it malfunctions. Labourers also need sound knowledge on how a construction site is run as well as who they need to speak to for any number of issues that arise.
When interviewing for a construction job, let the interviewer know you are properly trained in the knowledge of the running of a construction site and the proper handling of hand and power machinery. Doing so will set you apart from those who interview without such necessary skills.
- Problem-solving Skills: Are you a good problem solver? If so, construction work is for you. Whether you are faced with unexpected situations, mistakes or short delays, problem solving is a quality every construction worker should possess and always work to improve upon.
If you are looking to hire a problem solver, you can be confident that such workers perform tasks efficiently and don’t generally require added supervision.
- Attention to Detail: Do you pay attention to details? This is especially important as mistakes can be costly. Construction workers must be able to see the big picture while also focusing on details. Many corporations hire labourers to work on a number of different projects at the same time. You should be able to compartmentalise each project’s requirements and efficiently fulfil your duties. As the saying goes : measure twice, cut once!
Get In Touch With Us Today
When looking for a job, a candidate must approach a reliable platform. In this modern era social networking is very active and mostly used but cannot be reliable. Thus, a recruitment agency is a better way to solve this problem. As the recruitment agency not only offers a reliable job for the candidates but also takes care of all the procedure starting right from applying till a candidate goes direct with the employer. Recruitment agencies makes sure to get the best deal for their candidate. A reliable recruitment agency like Workers-Direct has an experience of working from the past ten years. We have been working in different sectors of industries so we make sure to provide our candidate with the best.
It’s easy to start your recruitment journey with Workers-Direct. Simply drop us an email or phone us and we’ll get working on your recruitment needs right away.